Have you ever wondered why some people who have never worked out or consciously exercised a day in their lives, but still remain as healthy as ever?
They might be doing the most ancient exercise man has ever had the privilege to enjoy. Sex, that is. Through time, sex has always been dubbed as the best exercise and best beauty regimen ever, and here are a few reasons why:
1. Engaging in sex burns a lot of calories. On the average, a person can burn about 300 calories in thirty minutes of jogging while the act of coitus itself can burn off 100 calories plus more if you engage in long make out sessions. Kissing alone can burn off up to 5 calories/minute, and add another 25 calories for every 15 minutes of foreplay.
2. Having sex regularly promotes a healthy heart. Literally and figuratively. Sex 3 times a week may reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack especially among the older folks. According to a study done by researchers in the UK, older men who engage in sex were less associated with stroke and heart conditions.
Sex, you gain more intimacy and a loving connection with your partner. It does not only raise your self-esteem, but it also strengthens your sense of well-being. That is safe to say for two individuals in a monogamous relationship. Of course, it’s something else when an individual sleeps around with multiple partners.
3 . The act of sex develops and strengthens the immune system. Sex once a week will increase immunoglobulin, the antibodies that help the the body ward off all sorts and viruses and diseases, by 30%. Scientists from a university in Pennsylvania took samples of saliva which contains immunoglobulin from 112 students. Those who reported to have had sex at least once a week had higher levels of antibodies compared to those who reported to practice abstinence.
4. Sex is a natural stress and pain reliever. A study done by researchers in Scotland followed 24 women and 22 men who have a kept records of their sexual activities. They were subjected to stressful situations like public speaking and verbal arithmetic, and noted their blood pressure after. Those who engage in sex regularly had better responses to stress than those who engaged in other sexual behaviors or abstained.
During intercourse, the body produces endorphins which helps rid of the discomfort and oxytocin, known to be the love hormone. You’ve heard about how men about their partners being less cranky after sex? That’s the hormones in their partners kicking in.
5. The act of sex helps prevent cancer. Women who do not have sex have three times the risk than those having regular sex to acquire breast cancer. A study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association also reported that frequent ejaculations in men were linked to lower risk of prostate cancer.
6. Engaging in sex is a natural anti-aging agent. According to several studies made, sex indeed makes you bloom and look younger than your real age. Regular sex promotes the release of hormones, including testosterone and estrogen, which can keep the body looking young and vital; estrogen has also been shown to promote soft skin and shiny hair.
Unlike other exercises, sex is not restrictive and it allows you to progress on your own pace. You can do it at any time of the day and there’s no need for special equipments and locations.
Of course, all these benefits are all best achieved, but not necessarily to some, if you have found the right partner. You don’t have to be in a monogamous relationship but being in one abandons all worries of unprotected sex (like the risk of unwanted pregnancies and acquiring sexually transmitted infections), and you get to enjoy the act itself .