Here are the basics on performing CPR:
- Call for help (911 or other emergency number for an ambulance), or have someone else do it.
- Place both of your hands, one on top of the other, over the middle of the person’s chest.
- Press down hard enough to make the chest move inward about 1.5 to 2 inches.
- Relax to let the chest rebound.
- Repeat this press-and-relax motion quickly, almost twice a second if you can. (Keep in rythm to the old Bee Gee’s song, Stayin’ Alive.)
- Don’t stop if the person seems to gasp or move! Keep pushing until help arrives.