Some people suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism; so they’re forced to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses ’cause they can’t do without their reliable sight. But others just find it uncomfortable to be wearing spectacles and/or break or lose them all the time. The alternative for eyesight problems is contact lenses which don’t suit everyone either; the hustle and bustle of putting and removing the lens, irritations, infections and losing them. What else is left?
There’s another thing, laser eye surgery which is said to be the latest answer to restore peripheral vision – the LASIK eye surgery… which will make you discard those eyeglasses and contact lenses. Convenience jumps to mind, right? ^_^
But surgery always sound scary. LASIK sounds scary, too. Is it safe? How is it done? Does it really work?
Well, according to ophthalmologist, science and technology has actually made the procedure much simpler, much safer and much easier for patients.
If you’re considering to have LASIK surgery for your eyes, it is worth noting that it doesn’t suit everyone. You have to be over 18, and your eyesight needs to have been stable for two to three years. You need to be cataract-free and not pregnant, because your eyes change shape during pregnancy.
So what is LASIK surgery?
LASIK is a procedure wherein vision is restored in those who suffer from nearsightedness, farsightedness or have astygmatism, while enabling patients to discard their eyeglasses glasses and/or contact lenses.
According to those who had undergone LASIK eye surgery, the most remarkable benefits is that most LASIK patients experience dramatically improved vision within mere moments of the procedure. While other treatment may take up to six months to achieve improved eyesight, it has been common for patients to demonstrate near-perfect vision during their follow-up examinations the very day after LASIK surgery, and to immediately discontinue the use of glasses or contact lenses.
Results tell us there are many benefits and fewer worries in undergoing the procedure. The benefits of LASIK eye surgery are :
* Yields immediate results whereby remarkable improvement in vision follows right after the procedure, and which continues to improve throughout the healing process.
* Lasik is a quick procedure, and it usually takes only five to fifteen minutes to complete in both eyes.
* Pain-free procedure; Anesthetic drops in the eyes prior to the procedure is the only anesthesia needed during the ‘surgery’ and there is usually no discomfort following the procedure (very minor discomfort really).
4. Most patients are able to return to work the day after the procedure. But is recommended that patients rest the day of the procedure, in order to enable the healing process to begin.
* The Lasik procedure restores peripheral vision; something that glasses cannot do.
* The ability to discontinue using costly and frustrating corrective eye wear and contact lenses because the procedure is typically a permanent solution for visual disturbances; so most patients have no need to wear glasses again or undergo a repeat procedure.
*Relatively inexpensive procedure, and no longer has to spend money on eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, contact lenses and related eye drops. Freedom from having to use two different pairs of glasses, (one for distance, one for reading) not having to worry about losing glasses and not being able to function until they can be replaced, no more chance of corneal abrasions from contact lenses.
* Raises self-esteem and confidence.
* Enhances life and living by broadening social, recreational, and career opportunities. No more inconvenience regarding wearing glasses, being able to swim without glasses and actually being able to see immediately without having to search for your glasses…and so forth and so on.
* Complications of the Lasik Procedure is less than 1%.
Note: If you are considering a Lasik procedure, be sure to find a qualified, experienced ophthalmologists who can do the operation. and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Look for a practitioner you feel most comfortable with.