She was a regular sporty kid who played under the sun without a hat. She also hated using umbrellas and preferred to bathe in the sun’s rays. Little did she know that such repulsion to shades would bring her some small dark spots on her skin upon reaching her teens years. Yes, she got freckles all over her face, shoulders and arms and using a concealer won’t hide those spots forever, right?
Freckles are actually clusters of concentrated melanin and is most often more visible on those who have a fair complexion. A freckle is likewise called an “ephelis” and these small dark spots usually occur on sun-exposed areas like the face, shoulders and arms, but the sun is not the direct culprit why some people have freckles. ^_^
This skin condition is the result of an increase in the skin pigmentation melanin; and while sun exposure plays a major role in triggering it, freckles may also be genetically-caused. Although freckles may develop on anyone regardless of their genetic background, the amount of freckles, however, is genetic and is related to the presence of the melanocortin-1 receptor MC1R gene variant. The formation of freckles is triggered by exposure to sunlight; wherein exposure to UV-B radiation tends to activate melanocytes to increase melanin production, thereby causing freckles to become darker and more visible to our sight.
Some freckles tend to lighten in color during the winter months and then darken again during summer. But still, there are those who are so heavily freckled come winter, summer, autumn or fall. To the lucky ones who got lesser and lighter shades of color, here’s hoping that natural remedies may work for you. Yes; there are some natural remedies, like lemon juice, to help lighten those dreadful freckles. Try them and get rid of those unsightly stains forever.
How to use lemons for your freckles
Squeeze some freshly-cut lemon juice on a cotton ball and then rub the lemon juice gently on your affected skin. Remember not to press or scrub so hard; just lightly coat your skin with that lemon juice and let it stay for 15 minutes, more or less, before washing with soap and water. You may do this everyday to achieve some results, which may vary depending on your skin type or the darkness of your dark spots. Having only light-colored freckles may bring great results after just two weeks of diligent lemon use, while it may take over a month to lighten up dark freckles. Keep trying!
- Real Lemon, Orange or Lime Juice (which are natural bleaching agents ) for best freckle removal. The juice acts as a natural bleaching agent which may help lighten those freckles you have over time. Avoid concentrates which may contain additives and preservatives which are not recommended to be used on your skin, especially your face. *** (You may combine the juice of ANY ONE of these citrus fruits with a little plain yogurt, and then mix it well until it becomes like paste; apply on your clean face and leave to dry, for some 15 minutes before washing off with cold water.)
- Lime juice and tomato juice *** (Mix equal portions of lime juice and tomato juice well, then apply the mixture on the dark spots and leave it overnight. The following morning, you may wash thoroughly with lukewarm water.)
- Radish may be rubbed on skin affected by freckles. *** (Grate a radish, add the juice of one line and blend them well before applying all over your face. Let the mixture dry on your face, and then afterwards, vigorously rub before rinsing to remove those freckles. Other than lightening those freckles, radish and lime also have exfoliating properties to remove blackheads.
- Mint leaves and Banana *** ( Grind 3-
4 mint leaves until you get a paste. and then add 1 cut- up banana and blend both ingredients in a blender. Apply all over your face, except the eye areas, of course. This may also remove blemishes, too.)
- Eggplant ( Slice one eggplant, and lay the slices on those freckles, rubbing gently in a circular motion. Then leave the eggplant slices on for 3-
5 minutes. Do this daily and you will see them lighten considerably after two weeks or so.)
- Potato *** (Grate raw potatoes until they turn into a paste, and then it’s ready to be applied as a mask on the face; leave it on for ten minutes then wash off with lukewarm water).
- Red onion – *** (Grate the red onion and squeeze out the juice. Dab the juice on your skin using a cotton ball and rinse thoroughly after ten minutes.)
- Strawberries or cranberries *** ( Crush some of these berries, and rub them on the spots, leave to dry before washing off with cold water. Daily use is recommended, too, until freckles turn light or disappear completely.)
- Sour Cream – The lactic acid in sour cream serves as a peeling agent to help in lightening the dark spots on your face. *** (A thin layer of sour cream may be applied on your face, but don’t rinse the face mask off completely. Rather, you may gently wipe off with a soft tissue and apply your favorite moisturizer for best results.)
- Almonds ***(Crush almonds coarsely and add one tablespoon of honey. You may then rub the mixture on the dark spots on your face, making sure to scrub in circular motion, before letting it dry on the face for a few minutes before rinsing well.)
- Cucumber *** (Slice some cucumber and mix with a teaspoon of lemon juice and grind them together to make a paste and apply as a facial mask, leaving it on for 30 minutes then rinse off thoroughly.)
- Oatmeal and yoghurt *** (Mix well one tablespoon each of oatmeal, yoghurt and sour cream plus a few drops of lime juice; use as facial massage and then let the face absorb the mixture for ten minutes or so then wash off well.)
- Papaya ***(Rub the inside of the papaya peel on your face. and then allow to dry for 15 – 20 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water.)
Please take note that while one remedy may be effective on some people, the same remedy may irritate other’s people’s skin. There are those who have very sensitive skin and may be prone to allergies, too. It is advised that you see for yourself which of the remedies suggested would be most suitable for you. Don’t expect instant results with just a few tries; patience is a virtue worth having.
If patience is far from your virtues, you might like to go for specially formulated fade creams to help reduce the color of those freckles and stop freckles from clustering together, in just two weeks, more or less. Go to a dermatologist for best prescription.
Prevention is always better than cure
Make sure to use a sunscreen or sunblock of at least SPF 30 on your face; wear a broad-